Position: Manager of Building and Bylaw Services
Fulltime / Full Benefit Position
Salary range $80,000-$85,000 per year
The beautiful town of Princeton, located in the sunny Similkameen Valley, has a great lifestyle opportunity for someone looking for an exciting job in a location that boasts clean air, clean water and excellent natural outdoor experiences. The Town offers affordable housing, low taxation and a great place to live. A paradise for those who are looking to connect with nature and the outdoors.
The Town is anticipating a time of substantial growth. Currently we have seen an increase in construction at our Industrial park and we are experiencing a need for new residential subdivisions and services. This is a great opportunity for someone to be a part of an exciting time in Princeton’s history.
This is a full-time position with the Town of Princeton to oversee and manage the operations of the Building Services Department.
Under the supervision of the CAO, the Manager of Building and Bylaw Services oversees the daily operation of the building department, establishes work schedules and assigns daily tasks. The Building and Bylaw Services Manager is responsible for inspections of new and existing structures and building systems. This work entails interpretation of bylaws and acts, the issuance of building permits and stop work orders if required, inspecting building construction and other installations during progress and on completion, examining plans and permit applications for compliance with standards and regulations, and providing information and assistance to the public on a variety of matters related to the work. This position also supervises, directs and works closely with the bylaw enforcement officer.
Areas of Responsibility
- Review, assess and enforce compliance with building bylaws, codes, statutes and regulations pertaining to building safety and regulatory standards of the BC building code.
- Conduct field inspections.
- Responsible for plan reviews and permit issuance, approving and/or rejecting inspected work, answering technical questions and inquiries, preparing correspondence and inspection reports, respond to complaints, and advising building tradesmen on best practices and procedures.
- Exercise good judgment at all times, ensuring excellent customer service within the municipality.
- Directs the Bylaw Enforcement Officer to review bylaws and ensure that they are up to date, enforcement of the bylaws, and address community complaints as needed.
- Provides the CAO and Council with reports, professional advice and recommendations as needed.
- Performs other related duties as may be required or assigned by the CAO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be a self-starter who demonstrates initiative in the performance of the general duties. Must be able to direct staff and assign work schedules and other duties.
- Must have sound knowledge of residential and commercial construction.
- Must have sound knowledge of the BC Building Code.
- The ability to exercise courtesy and tact in dealing with the general public is required at all times with a desire for the pursuit of excellence of service.
- Must have previous experience working in the field of construction, carpentry or mechanical trades.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of previous experience as a municipal building inspector.
- Must have experience in leading staff.
- Must have a Level 2 or Level 3 certification from the Building Officials Association of BC.
- Must have a valid class 5 drivers’ license.
- Must have grade 12
- Completed a current criminal records check.
This position is exempt and offers an attractive and competitive wage and benefit package. The Town of Princeton offers a salary of $80,000 - $85,000 per year (depending on experience) based on a 35-hour workweek, full benefits and a moving allowance. Consideration will be given to previous municipal service in regards to annual vacation entitlement.
This job posting is open until filled.
If you would like to apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to:
CAO, Town of Princeton
or by mail:
Town of Princeton